Skip to content

Feature Requests

298 results found

1. Allow projects to marked as no parallel execution

We have an integration test that has a setup task that get runs once before the tests execute to create and teardown the integration test database.

The problem with the way NCrunch executes is we get multiple instances of the database continually created (they have GUIDs in the name so they don't clash) but ideally I'd just like to be able to mark the integration test project to run all the tests in a single thread so the NUnit SetupFixture doesn't get run multiple times ... or if the are going to run in multiple threads to stop the reentrance…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Inline run configuration

I'm a long time NCrunch user but I feel the feedback loop has worsened significantly over time,

An incremental compile on my solution takes ~1s but I often have to wait between 20-40s for ncunch to do the same. (I have no clue if this is because of workspace copying or what).

What I really want from NCrunch is an inline run mode that runs directly on my build output everytime I build (which I do very often)

But currently I can not instruct NCrunch to run directly on my build output or only try to run (build) after a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Assign license key to developer name in mylicenses page

I'd like to be able to assign a company seat license to a developer's name. Currently under the https://www.ncrunch.net/User/MyLicenses page I can't figure out which key is being used by which developer.

As my team grows and as developers come and go this becomes a more time consuming process to manage. I'd rather not do this via another spreasheet.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. inherit colors from environment

I don't use Windows default colour scheme. Instead, I reduce the amount of light hitting my eyes by using a black background and green text (very retro, ha ha). Some NCrunch windows / dialogs set their background color to grey, which makes green text difficult to read.

So, please, don't override my local settings, just allow your windows / dialogs to use whatever colours I have already set up for myself.

Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Be able to Bind a key (F5) to run debugger in the current test cursor located in

It would great to use the muscle memory of pressing F5 to debug code, by allowing the functionality of "Right click on a unit test and select Debug starting test in new task runner process" to happen based on where the cursor is currently located.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide a better filtering on 'Tests being excecuted right now' in 'NCrunch tests' window

With large amount of tests, say 500-1000, it is impossible to see what is going on right now - which tests are being executed.

NCrunch has a specific icon on that, but all such tests are spread across the 'NCrunch tests' window, so we have to scroll here and there to see where NCrunch is up to - which tests are being run right now.

It might not b an issue for unit tests, but integration tests take about 1-2 minutes each to execute, so sometimes it is not clear what's is going on.

Would be nice to have either…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add 'Capabilities' row to 'NCrunch Distributed Processing' window

Please add 'Capabilities' row to 'NCrunch Distributed Processing' window, so that it would be possible to group, sort and identify server at a glance by existing capabilities.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Let tests run continuously parallel but randomized - to find concurrency issues

I had the problem that my test setup created some files and sometimes test would interfere because they moved some files. In general i would like to find out if there are concurrency issues in my code or in my tests. I know its not a safe way to find them, but if I could say "these 3 tests should run in parallel for a while" would ease debugging if I already know there is an issue

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add 'Clear search' button next to "Text to search on" in "NCrunch Tests" window

It'd be useful to clean the search text in one click, similar to OOTB VS and other software experience.

Right now we have to focus on the text within the search box, then double click and delete, or backspace a lot.

Out of the box VS test window has that little button to clear the search, as well as other systems do.

Matter of habit and efficiency while working with UI across various apps.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Better exception handing so that VS won't be crushed

Please improve stability/exception handling, provide optional "Submit crash report" window so that we can feedback the exception and other details, and isolate NCrunch from the VS.

We have been seeing unstable behaviour caused by NCrunch while intensively running 1000+ tests across dozens server nodes, all of them cause VS restarted.

That's extremely annoying giving the fact that after the VS crash NCrunch "tries" to pick up tests from the very beginning. We can't complete the whole test suite having crashed somewhere along the way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Shortened name should just be the test name when viewing with Tree Structure set to test

Currently, when I want to view tests in flat list, I set the tree structure to "Test" but all the following columns display the same values

Name, Shortened Name and Full Test Name !

It would be helpful if the Shortened Name just displayed the test name rather than the full namespace.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Show/Hide previously passing, but now out of date tests

When using the engine mode of "Run impacted tests only, other tests manually", the Test Window provides a green question mark indicator next to tests that were previously passing, but are now out of date (at least that's what we believe the green question mark indicates).

We would like to request an enhancement to the Test Window to show/hide the green question mark tests; this would be an icon next to the current four indicators that will toggle the visible tests: Passing (green check mark), Failing (red X), UnExecuted (blue question mark with an eyeball), and Ignored (yellowish circle with…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enhance 'NCrunch Distributed Processin -> Server Tasks' window with additional information

It would be nice to enhance 'NCrunch Distributed Processin -> Server Tasks' window adding more context.

Right now it shows 'Processing Taks: 1 test(s) in XXXXX.Test', so would be nice to expand on that and show what are the tests being run right now with that task.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable columns grouping on both "NCrunch Distributed Processing'" and "NCrunch Tests" window

Please enable grouping on "NCrunch Distributed Processing'" and "NCrunch Tests" window grids so that it would be possible to have extra dimension on grouping servers by capabilities, or tests by "Excecution status".

With dozens servers we have to keep up with the name convention, naming the servers in a specific way. Grouping by capabilities would be a better choice.

Same same with tests - grouping by excecution status, 'failed, being run, passed' would be just awesome to have - similar to out of the box Visual Studio tests window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Optimize test status refresh between VS reloads on large amount of tests

Once VS loads, NCrunch seems to refresh tests status.

We noticed performance degradation on 500-1000+ tests.
    It takes about 10 minutes (1 test per second or somehting) to get the whole suit refreshed on the status.

Always '500+' tests are queried for execution, 100 failing, no tests ignored. Hope that VS won't go down, as NCrunch will start that refresh process again from the very beginning.

With current config we have ~1000 tests and 8 Azure VMs in the grid, 4CPU + 8G RAM.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add confirmation on deleting server node

Please add a confirmation dialog "You sure you want to delete a node" while deleting a server node from the server nodes list.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support for NSpec

I'd love to run my nspec.org tests via ncrunch.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add host spot detection.

Add the ability to highlight risky code paths to help a developer focus their attention on un-covered code paths.

Hot spots should be defined by areas of high cyclomatic complexity and low test coverage similar to the functionality found in JetBrains dotCover.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. output window hyperlink for logging file and line number in standard visual studio format

The output window currently requires the format "path: line number" which is not the format supported by visual studio. Visual studio windows require "path (line): message".

Please add support for the visual studio standard format to allow hyperlinks to work in all windows.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow to run the tests on the grid node while the foreground solution is still compiling

When working with large solutions, it would be great if the grid nodes would already compile/execute tests in parallel while the foreground solution is still compiling in Visual Studio.

For the moment it seems that whenever I trigger a re-build, NCrunch is pausing to wait for completion. As the re-build takes several minutes (5-10), that seems to be a quite large delay to wait for the test results.

My usage scenario is that I have several grid nodes with some RAM drives (having 2-4 GB capacity) and a large solution with around 160 projects. Thus, when executing, some of my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests