Skip to content

Feature Requests

298 results found

1. Show what it the currect engine mode on "NCrunch Test" screen or maybe via some icon in the VS status bar.

Why?
    I often switch between modes like this:
    Run all tests automatically -> Run all tests manually or Run pinned test automatically -> Run all tests automatically
    This is due to make sure NCrunch does not get into the way by running tests that at the moment are doing more harm than good.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Test Coverage Analysis by Specific Test Class

I suggest to make possible to change the way code coverage is calculated.
    While I am developing I do not do much end-to-end testing. What I do is purely unit testing as part of my TDD process. I would like to have the code coverage calculated class by test class.
    Example case: Class "Car" being tested by class "CarUnitTests". I would like to have the code coverage of class "Car" being calculated exclusively by the tests present in "CarUnitTests".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Standalone UI which can be used with every other IDE

Here are some feature requests for Visual Studio Code and Rider. But these require deep Integration.

But since VS 2017 sucks so much these days. It would be nice if we can use another IDE.

I propose a standalone Version with the NCrunch with the UI and Windows which are currently in Visual Studio. But without Visual Studio.

Of course this is not such a tight integration with the IDEs (not jumping to the code, debug and break into failing tests etc.) but would be a good start. And of course, it is only running tests on save because of…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. An option to automatically pin *modified* tests

Most of the time, I only want to automatically run tests that I'm working on.

So I use engine mode "Run pinned tests automatically, others manually". And manually pin tests I'm working on.

Would be nice if NCrunch could automatically pin modified tests (detect changes of test methods and test classes), and automatically pin modified tests.

I know we already have an option "Automatically pin newly discovered tests". Would be nice if there was another option "Automatically pin modified tests".

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Attribute to identify type/methods that must have 100% code coverage

It would be helpful to have NCrunch treat (or at least report) decreases in code coverage as "fail".

For example, supporting an attribute that marks a project/class/method as "100% code coverage required".

Or a larger flag such that any code coverage drop is a "failure". This would be a bit trickier to support as it may need to be include a way to identify a baseline. And it may be helpful to distinguish between coverage for old code vs coverage for new code.

I think starting with a numeric attribute indicating the required coverage would give the biggest ROI --…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "first failing test"

I suggest you include the option to highlight the first failing test in the "NCrunch Tests" window and display the details.

Right now when there are no tests failing and a test fails, I have to click on it in order to see the details of why.

Having it automatically show the details would be very helpful and save a few clicks.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Test results formatting

Currently the test results appear as a block of text within the "NCrunch Tests" window. When compared to the built in display of test results in TestExplorer (im using VS2017), it feels rather raw and perhaps could be improved.

Im not saying to get rid of the raw text output (we all have our preferences), but to have an option to format the display of results to allow the result of a test to be clear and distinct from the full result text. So, instead of:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.AssertFailedException: Assert.AreEqual failed. Expected:<2>. Actual:<1>. Some random failure description i typed in as the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Client priority setting for use by node servers

We're looking into setting up an NCrunch node farm. This would be used by developer machines but it would also be used by the build server. When the build server goes to run tests, we'd like to have those test tasks take execution priority over test tasks coming from dev machines. Is this possible?

From Remco: Presently it isn't possible to control this. The grid nodes operate on a round-robin type request system that treats every connected client equally. The only way to ensure priority for the build server given NCrunch's current feature set would be to set aside nodes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In Test window, Server column for grouping rows should include all servers for children (not just one of them).

In my case Server always says "(Local)" if any child test ran locally. I think this should be a comma-delimited list like Category. Next best thing would be leaving it blank.

If I'm filtering for failed tests only, the current behavior is really a bug, because all of the failing tests may have ran on one node server that isn't (local), yet the grouping row alone still says (local). So it makes scanning the server column to troubleshoot issues (in this case node server dependency config issues) confusing.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add AlwaysImpactedAttribute for Run Impacted Tests Automatically mode

It would be useful if there was an AlwaysImpactedAttribute that could be attached to a test method so that it always executes when a code change is made.

The use case I am thinking of occurs with Automapper. We have a test that executes AssertConfigurationIsValid(), but when the engine mode is in "Run Impacted Tests Automatically" NCrunch will not detect that this test needs to be run whenever we make changes to the models in the solution.

If I could put an attribute on that test method that says 'always run', I could continue to use the "impacted only" engine…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support for debugging with the 'Microsoft Child Process Debugging Power Tool'

When debugging tests with NCrunch the 'Microsoft Child Process Debugging Power Tool' (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=GreggMiskelly.MicrosoftChildProcessDebuggingPowerTool) does not work.

Maybe this can be fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Introduce NCrunch.TestContext or similar to get info of current running test, e.g. attributes

Original thread: http://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2127_NCrunch-attributes-on-interface.aspx

I would like a way, in similar to NUnit\s TestContext, to read information about current running test.

One piece of information I would like is attributes like [ExclusivelyUses]; In a complex test setup I might share test logic for multiple tests, and then it would be good to ensure that the proper attributes are applied on the tests to e.g. avoid deadlocks, or ensure an integration test has [ExclusivelyUeses("IntegrationTest")] attribute set etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add PriorityAttribute: This can Improve parallel execution dramatically

The tests are ordered for execution depending on automatic generated priorities.

Execution of an isolated test (e.g. needing exclusively the "Task Runner" Resource) causes that no new tests are put into the Pipeline (local and grid node) until this test is started.

If I could set the PriorityAttribute to all isolated tests, I could run them all together at the end rather then often interrupting the Pipeline that contains many long running tests.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow "Build Successful" messages to be suppressed in Tests view separately from green tests.

I usually organize my Test window by project. I sometimes want to see the green tests in the Tests window to keep a consistent view as tests alter between red and green, and to remind myself of which subset of tests I'm currently monitoring. However I almost never want to see all the Build Successful messages there for projects that don't contain any tests (in my case, that's dozens). If a build fails, I would still want to see it, but otherwise all that green is just a lot of noise to me.

Is there a way to suppress those…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. keyboard shortcut to reset ncrunch (after build failure)

I would love a keyboard shortcut to reset Ncrunch.
    I don't know if its possible to assign it myself, could not find it in customize keyboard.
    maybe the disable and (re)enable Ncrunch sequence is the same as a reset,...?

Use case:
    - I open a solution in VS 215
    - ncrunch starts and reports green on risk/progress bar
    - I get latest version for a solution from sourcecontrol
    - build fails because there are not new nuget packages referenced.
    - I build the solution which does a nuget restore
    - then I have to open the ncrunch tests window (using…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow metrics to show method/function level coverage

Currently the metrics allow the drilling down of coverage to the class level, but I'd like to be able to drill down into individual functions, and perhaps even properties.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support MoeIDE regards code coverage icon rendering

After installing MoeIDE (
    https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vs-publisher-593793.MoeIDE), for VS 2017, and configuring a background image, I noticed that NCrunch's code coverage icons are no longer visible.

It seems that MoeIDE might be displaying the background image over the NCrunch icons. It would be awesome if NCrunch's icons could be adjusted in order to render on top of any images MoeIDE displays.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Keyword highlight in test output window

I have tons of log output during tests, however often I'm most interested in log output from test itself I am currently working with. Thus it would be helpful if I could highlights lines containing specific keyword (e.g. "*Test" to highlight test related log lines from test loggers).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support for Paket

Paket is an alternative package manager that support NuGet packages. Currently NCrunch will auto detect NuGet packages that have build targets in the csproj and copy the tools folder into the workspace for that package.

This does not work when using Paket and requires manual fixup of the additional files to include the tools folders.

Please add support for Paket based NuGet references in the same way as NuGet is supported.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow Font Size Control Through Visual Studio's Standard Environment Font Target

Font sizing for the output window is configurable in NCrunch, but font sizing for all other NCrunch windows is not. Please allow users to control NCrunch font sizing through the Visual Studio “Environment” font target. This font target, under "Tools-->Options-->Environment-->Fonts and Colors", is designed specifically for this purpose. See the section “Environment Font” under section “Show settings for” at: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kw7t0545.aspx

Other tools, like JetBrains ReSharper, use this method and it works very well. For those of us who change our font sizes to minimize eye strain (especially when using multiple monitors), this would be a tremendous usability improvement.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?