Skip to content

Feature Requests

298 results found

1. Add "/VS" switch (vstudio version) to grid node server configuration

I have some tests requiring vs2013, these work fine with ncrunch.exe since I can use the /VS version.
    However when I use vs2017 for local development the tests are failing (since the grid node uses vs2017 if that is available).
    I would like the grid node configuration to be able to specifiy a vs version to use, so I can dedicate 1 grid node to run in vs2013 environment (in combination with capabilities to ensure such tests are run on that)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Option to suppress TC service msg "NCrunch result: TestFailure" in console tool

From https://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2618_NCrunch-Console-and-TeamCity-muted-tests.aspx

I want to be able to utilize TeamCity Test Muting (see https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/TCD18/Muting+Test+Failures ) and therefore I need NCrunch to not report build failure via TC service message if a test fails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Detect Microsoft.Net.Compilers references and automatically copy it to the workspace

The Microsoft.Net.Compilers package allows projects to use a specific version of the compiler. When NCrunch attempts to build a project referencing that package it will fail by default with the error: "packages\Microsoft.Net.Compilers.2.4.0\build..\tools\csc.exe" is invalid." The current workaround is to add the tools directory for that package in the "Additional Files to Include" dialog.

NCrunch should recognize that this package is unique and handle it automatically.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow to rerun all tests matching current engine mode

If I have 2 engine modes "Manual" and "All Automatically except HttpTest", I must toggle between the 2 in order to re-execute all tests.

I would want a way to execute all tests matching the active engine mode, without having to toggle between "Manual" and the one I would want to be re-executed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Engine mode condition to allow distribute processing only of some tests

Summary: I would like to specify an engine mode e.g. "Run db tests locally, all other distributed".
    Details: I would like to define grid nodes condition in the NCrunch engine mode settings. A first simple step would be to add setting similar to "Tests to execute on this machine", but under the Distributed Processing node. This way I can ensure no test with category [DbTest] is executed on grid nodes, but only on local (where I have the test db set up).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Attribute to exclude specific tests from automatically running

I have several unit tests and integration tests within the same project. It would be great to have an attribute to exclude the integration tests from automatic runs. These tests would only be trigger-able manually

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Include Process Id in NCrunch Console Timeline report

I would like to see when NCrunch starts up a new, or reuses existing, process in the NCrunch Console Timeline report, so I can find if long test run duration is due to process startup time or due to slow test run.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow negative wildcard inclusions

NCrunch allows you to add files and directory to include in the workspace using file globbing patterns. This is a great feature. However, this feature could be improved to also allow you to specify "negative inclusions", which would greatly benefit large solutions.

My solution has 107 projects in it and one of the projects is a test project that runs some "solution-wide" tests using Roslyn Compiler Services. So this test project requires that the entire solution be in the workspace. However, what I don't need are all the {bin,obj}*. files, just the *.cs and *.csproj files.

Currently, it's really difficult…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Run same test with different configuration options (similar to NUnit's TestCase)

Let's say I need to support 2 db providers (e.g. SqlServer and Sqlite) and I write the same (1) test for both but in the configuration file for the test project I define which db provider it should connect to.

Currently the work process is something like:
    1) Run all tests with SqlServer provider setting set
    2) Change configuration file to use Sqlite provider.
    3) Re-run all tests to tests towards Sqlite provider.

What I would like to have is something like:
    1) In a setting for a test project, define x number of "environment configurations" where I guess the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. improve indicators for explicit and ignored tests

I use Nunit but I guess there are similar concepts for other test frameworks. Currently any explicit or ignored tests have white icons in the editor and show as unexecuted in the tests window.

I would like the option to change these indicators. In particular to change the colour/shape for the ignored/explicit tests icon in the editor.

I would also like a filter for both explicit and ignored tests in the tests window. This would help me to track these tests down quickly

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow AssemblyVersion to be ignored in order to prevent errors in NCrunch

If the AssemblyVersion attribute contains an asterisk (eg "1.0.0.*") then NCrunch cannot reliably build the solution.

Currently, there is no way to prevent NCrunch from resolving the AssemblyVersion of each project and this causes problems with inconsistencies and NCrunch reporting build errors because MSBuild is expecting a different version of the assembly to the one provided.

The current alternative to this involves polluting non-test project files with NCrunch-related hacks, which is not very clean.

In order to resolve this issue, I suggest that a setting feature be added to NCrunch which allows AssemblyVersion resolution to be disabled.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Option to hide NCrunch warnings per user

I would like a solution setting so clicking "Click here to hide this warning" ends up in my .ncrunchproject.user instead of team shared .ncrunchproject file.

Background:
    I have a lot of warnings in projects I am hiding, after validating they are valid to ignore. If I am not experienced with NCrunch I probably do not know what they mean, hide it and commit changes to .ncrunchproject files.
    The warnings also include grid nodes warnings, which might only be specific for my machine (if we e.g. do not share grid nodes for the team settings) and really makes no sense to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Endlessly Churn While Logged out

I'd like to keep Visual Studio open, log out of my account while keeping the machine on, and have NCrunch run Endless Churn in the background.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Scroll wheel zoom For NCrunch Windows

It would be nice to be able to use the scroll wheel to zoom in/out when in a NCrunch window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. White color for "lines covered by passing tests"

I have tried using the color white for marking lines covered by passing tests, so that I only get highlights on lines of code needing my attention.

However, when setting anything above 224 it switches back to black, probably some kind of contrast code that kicks in. Could I ask for an option to turn this behavior off, so that if I want white color, I can get white color?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. In Tests window, include analyze time in "Last execution time" for test projects

For test projects, the "Last execution time" seems to contain the build time, where "Cumulative Build time" (I assume) aggregates these figures.
    Say I have some projects with a build time of 20s, and analyze time of 30s before any test is run, I would like build+analyze time as a column, so I can spot test projects being overall bottlenecks.
    Since analyze time is part of my "sit and wait" period, I get a better overview of which projects are bottle necks if these durations are inccluded in metrics, and can tell which projects I need to split into smaller…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Time limit option for Churn mode

I would like to be able to Churn tests for x seconds/minutes and if it hasn't failed within that time stop churning.

This so after I have fixed a failing test, which I know fails in churn mode within x seconds, I don't want to run "Churn until it fails" but rather set a time period I know should be sufficient to reproduce it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Don't show "NCrunch Client Disabled" as an error in red

When I try to connect to an NCrunch grid node and get "NCrunch Client DIsabled" in red text, my first impulse is to troubleshoot. Is it a firewall problem? Bad password? Something else?

Then it clicks...client. I don't have NCrunch enabled in my current Visual Studio solution (or maybe I don't even have a solution loaded yet).

Well, obviously NCrunch won't send anything to the node if there's nothing to send. This isn't really an error, per se, so I don't think NCrunch should show the message in red in this case.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Merge "custom environment variables" settings between shared/user settings.

Today the "custom environment variables" are "all or nothing" between the layers, e.g. if you have 5 settings in "shared settings" and want a new one (or modify one) locally, you need to duplicate all 5 in "my settings" to avoid the other ones being "unset" in the test runner.

I would like "my settings" to only override the ones I specify, so I can keep the 5 ones in "shared settings" being "active", and only add (or modify) 1 specific in "my settings".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. History of work session

I'd like to be able to see the history of my work session, meaning at the end of the day I'd like to see visually when my code was compiling, when my tests were all green.
    The purpose is to be able to identify if I spend a lot of time in those states and try to reduce that time.
    It would be useful for self-improvement or coaching.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests