Skip to content

Feature Requests

297 results found

1. Build solution for execution

It would be great to take advantage of NCrunch's ability to build a solution in the background with every change; to keep the solution bin's up to date and remove the need to build in visual studio.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Filter tests with build configuration

I would like to add a new condition to the test filter builder, "Build Configuration" that would allow filtering tests based on the currently selected build configuration.

My use case is for integration tests that take a long time to run. I want to run these when the "Release" build configuration is selected. Running all tests in the solution is not suitable as some tests are only for running manually.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Option to select Test Suites dynamically

We run all our tests from CI server (Jenkins).

Currently, we add category to each test case. The NCrunch Engines are predefined (which is a huge number), with "Has category" option. When the runs are triggered, the predefined NCrunch Engine is selected for execution (from Console tool)

This limits our option to trigger different combination of Test Suites from CI server.

Could you please add the option to be able to dynamically create NCrunch Engines or define the Test Suites.

For e.g, all test cases has a unique ID. I would like to pass the test case ID's and NCrunch…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make the test timeout depends on RepeatAttribute (NUnit)

The default timeout is 60 sec. One can change that value but it would be nice if NCrunch could adapt timeout based on the number of repetitions of the same test (in respect of RepeatAttribute of NUnit).
    Today, if I specify a timeout of 120 sec, that timeout is applied no matter how much times the test is repeated in the same tests session.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. User custom performance metrics (displayed with performance metrics)

My prime use case would be counting and measuring SQL queries (would make easier to monitor impact of changes by other developpers).

Hovering the green/red marker next to a line would display the count and total time for each custom metric.

This could be implemented with a simple attribute like NCrunch.MetricAttribute("SQL") that would be added on functions and/or with a IDisposable scope (using(NCrunch.Metric("SQL")).

They would be noop when not compiled by NCrunch.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. enable debug on ignored tests

Often I get to the end of a TDD run and create a total integration test. This test necessarily hits dev database and http endpoints. I want to carefully control the execution of this test, not have it run continually. Ergo, I ignore it. Right clicking on the now "ignored" tests, I see the options to debug, but they don't do anything.

It would be perfect if I could step into and debug ignored tests.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support NSubstitute

...my favorite, fluent syntax mocking tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make pending test colors configurable

I find finished tests (solid color) difficult to distinguish from pending tests (semi-translucent). I suggest making this configurable, either by allowing the user to specify the alpha for pending tests, or by providing completely separate color choices for pending test states.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow the NCrunch Tests window to nest/group by Class

i have my tests setup like this:

public class CalculatorTests{
    public class AddMethod{
    [Fact]
    public void DoesAdd() { /**/ }
    }
    }

I'd like to be able to see the tests grouped by class so I can ignore (for example) all the 'AddMethod' tests. I appreciate I could do this by categories, but it'd be a nice addition.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hotkey to skip sliding build window

I have a sliding build window turned on as my tests can be fairly intensive to run. Sometimes, however, I'm done making a change and don't want to wait for the sliding window to activate. It'd be nice to have a hotkey to bypass the sliding window on demand.

I take advantage of all the other fantastic hotkeys around running tests immediately, so this isn't a very big deal. But it'd be nice to have. :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Inline run configuration

I'm a long time NCrunch user but I feel the feedback loop has worsened significantly over time,

An incremental compile on my solution takes ~1s but I often have to wait between 20-40s for ncunch to do the same. (I have no clue if this is because of workspace copying or what).

What I really want from NCrunch is an inline run mode that runs directly on my build output everytime I build (which I do very often)

But currently I can not instruct NCrunch to run directly on my build output or only try to run (build) after a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Let tests run continuously parallel but randomized - to find concurrency issues

I had the problem that my test setup created some files and sometimes test would interfere because they moved some files. In general i would like to find out if there are concurrency issues in my code or in my tests. I know its not a safe way to find them, but if I could say "these 3 tests should run in parallel for a while" would ease debugging if I already know there is an issue

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enhance 'NCrunch Distributed Processin -> Server Tasks' window with additional information

It would be nice to enhance 'NCrunch Distributed Processin -> Server Tasks' window adding more context.

Right now it shows 'Processing Taks: 1 test(s) in XXXXX.Test', so would be nice to expand on that and show what are the tests being run right now with that task.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable columns grouping on both "NCrunch Distributed Processing'" and "NCrunch Tests" window

Please enable grouping on "NCrunch Distributed Processing'" and "NCrunch Tests" window grids so that it would be possible to have extra dimension on grouping servers by capabilities, or tests by "Excecution status".

With dozens servers we have to keep up with the name convention, naming the servers in a specific way. Grouping by capabilities would be a better choice.

Same same with tests - grouping by excecution status, 'failed, being run, passed' would be just awesome to have - similar to out of the box Visual Studio tests window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Optimize test status refresh between VS reloads on large amount of tests

Once VS loads, NCrunch seems to refresh tests status.

We noticed performance degradation on 500-1000+ tests.
    It takes about 10 minutes (1 test per second or somehting) to get the whole suit refreshed on the status.

Always '500+' tests are queried for execution, 100 failing, no tests ignored. Hope that VS won't go down, as NCrunch will start that refresh process again from the very beginning.

With current config we have ~1000 tests and 8 Azure VMs in the grid, 4CPU + 8G RAM.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Better exception handing so that VS won't be crushed

Please improve stability/exception handling, provide optional "Submit crash report" window so that we can feedback the exception and other details, and isolate NCrunch from the VS.

We have been seeing unstable behaviour caused by NCrunch while intensively running 1000+ tests across dozens server nodes, all of them cause VS restarted.

That's extremely annoying giving the fact that after the VS crash NCrunch "tries" to pick up tests from the very beginning. We can't complete the whole test suite having crashed somewhere along the way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add confirmation on deleting server node

Please add a confirmation dialog "You sure you want to delete a node" while deleting a server node from the server nodes list.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow to run the tests on the grid node while the foreground solution is still compiling

When working with large solutions, it would be great if the grid nodes would already compile/execute tests in parallel while the foreground solution is still compiling in Visual Studio.

For the moment it seems that whenever I trigger a re-build, NCrunch is pausing to wait for completion. As the re-build takes several minutes (5-10), that seems to be a quite large delay to wait for the test results.

My usage scenario is that I have several grid nodes with some RAM drives (having 2-4 GB capacity) and a large solution with around 160 projects. Thus, when executing, some of my…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Test Filter Builder: Enable filtering by Project Name via regular expressions

Test Filter Builder already supports filtering by Full Name with Regular Expression, and it supports filtering by Project Name, but it doesn't appear that there's a way to filter by project name using wildcards/regex.

I've got test projects containing pure unit tests, named .UnitTests as a convention, but the test classes' namespaces are the same as their SUT (system under test) class (the namespaces don't have ".UnitTests" in them).

I'd like to trigger my (pure, fast) UnitTests to run when impacted, but not my integration tests (they're in separate projects named *.IntegrationTests).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Deep code coverage tool

I was thinking about a better code coverage tool. A tool that take longer to run, but show the real thing.

This deep code coverage tool, should test each line of code. If a line is commented, at least one test should fail or an error should be outlined. The tool can do the check and report the lines that are not well covered.

The result it's easier to remove the line or improve our tests for a better code coverage.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests