Feature Requests

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Test result icon next to method name

In the text editor when all the test methods are collapsed, we cannot see which test have failed.

If an icon next to the method declaration was also displayed we could know which one needs to be expanded and work on without the need to look at the overall NCrunch test window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Windows Runtime Components

Support C++ Windows Runtime Components. These are used in Windows Store projects. One of the cool things about WinRT is that you can mix and match languages. I'm not talking about running tests against C++, just allow referencing them. Currently even referencing a component breaks NCrunch compilation for the whole solution.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support IntelliTrace when debugging tests

At the moment I am unable to make use of IntelliTrace when debugging tests using the NCrunch test runner.

I use IntelliTrace frequently while debugging, and find it especially useful when I want to look into ADO.Net calls from ORMs.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Copy engine mode

I have fairly non trivial engine modes with test filters set. I want to create a new engine mode based on existing but only tweak e.g. a condition in the filter.
    It would help a lot if could copy an existing engine mode and tweak it instead of re-doing the entire filter.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show number of lines uniquely covered by a test

Today, the test fail/pass indicators on each line show which tests are executing that line.

I would like to have an option (maybe in the Metrics window) which tells me the number of lines covered solely by one test.

My goal behind is to identify code that is only run by few system/integration tests and clearly needs more tests. Such tests might start/run half of the system just to prepare a test so that - from the coverage point of view - the code looks like to be covered but - from the testing point of view - actually isn't…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remote server: Add some sort of performance index per server

I would like to have some index indicating how well the grid node server performs related to other servers.
    For instance, if I run 2 grid servers on Azure and 2 on internal network, I want to know if it's worth adding more servers on Azure or on internal network (or if it helps out scaling Azure servers etc.).

One idea might be to have an average processing time on tests, and check when test has been executed on different servers is above or below the average execution time and calculate some sort of performance index from those measurements and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a way (toolbar button ideally) to pin visible tests.

Often I want to pin failing tests, then make a change so a large number pass, then I want to unpin the passing ones. I can unpin all, show only failing then would like to pin all visible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow an ignored test to be run manually

When a test is ignored either allow it to be run manually or disable the "Run selected test in new task runner process" in the popup menu in "NCrunch Tests" window.
    Right now you can click the item in the popup menu but the test is not run.
    Preferably I would rather be able to run the test on demand.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. An option to automatically pin *modified* tests

Most of the time, I only want to automatically run tests that I'm working on.

So I use engine mode "Run pinned tests automatically, others manually". And manually pin tests I'm working on.

Would be nice if NCrunch could automatically pin modified tests (detect changes of test methods and test classes), and automatically pin modified tests.

I know we already have an option "Automatically pin newly discovered tests". Would be nice if there was another option "Automatically pin modified tests".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Do not automatically perform a build if tests are set to run manually

We have some projects that are very expensive to build. Since I would like to see the output of the last test, I do not want to disable NCrunch completely, but the build engine keeps building the projects even when the tests are all set to run manually and I haven't yet started a test. I would like the option to defer the build until a test is scheduled for execution.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Display Reason for ignored tests

I use Nunit, with ExplicitAttribute(string reason) on TestFixture class.
    The tests are correctly ignored but there no reason visible in NCrunch Tests window.

It would be nice to have the reason, when I select an ignored test. Perhaps in Trace Output (which is empty for ignored tests).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Expose MSpec's [Subject] details in the tests window

MSpec uses a [Subject] attribute to nominate the unit-under-test and optionally allows a "concern" to be specified.

In R# these items appear in the test runner window as part of the test name, however in NCrunch there doesn't seem to be any way to get at this information, which is unfortunate.

There just seems to be a level of organization missing when working with MSpec tests. It would be really helpful to be able to group the tests either by the [Subject] attribute, or by the file name that the test is defined in.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hits count on coverage marker circle

When I click on a coverage marker circle, a windows pops up with Test name and execution time information.
    It would be nice to have also a third column indicating how much times the test hit the current line

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Color the console output

I really like the idea of separation of console outputs by test. But, the problem is, that with more logs the output becomes cluttered. There is an excellent plugin for Visual Studio called VSColorOuput that allows to specify regular expressions to color the console output in the output window.

Would you consider:
    1. Add similar coloring preferences to console output
    or
    2. Output console to the output window, as requested in another feature request?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide a better filtering on 'Tests being excecuted right now' in 'NCrunch tests' window

With large amount of tests, say 500-1000, it is impossible to see what is going on right now - which tests are being executed.

NCrunch has a specific icon on that, but all such tests are spread across the 'NCrunch tests' window, so we have to scroll here and there to see where NCrunch is up to - which tests are being run right now.

It might not b an issue for unit tests, but integration tests take about 1-2 minutes each to execute, so sometimes it is not clear what's is going on.

Would be nice to have either…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add host spot detection.

Add the ability to highlight risky code paths to help a developer focus their attention on un-covered code paths.

Hot spots should be defined by areas of high cyclomatic complexity and low test coverage similar to the functionality found in JetBrains dotCover.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add progress bar to Metrics tree view

I would find the metrics tree view more useful if the code coverage % column had a progress bar in the background. The numbers are great of course, but a progress bar would be much easier to glance at, especially when looking at a large number of rows.

DotCover has a view that shows what I mean well: https://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover/features/img/dotcover-app.png

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Implement Ctrl+A shortcut in NCrunch configuration grid

For the moment it's possible to select more than one project but only holding Ctrl key and clicking on each project.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Separate 'successfully completed' and 'failed tasks' in the Processing Queue window

The NCrunch Processing Queue window currently has 3 toggles:
    - Pending tasks
    - Tasks being processed
    - Completed tasks

The last of these has both the successfully completed and the failed tasks. However, I find that confusing and inconsistent:

- The icon on the toggle button is a checkmark. The icon for successful tasks is a checkmark, while the icon for a failed task is a red "X".
    - The NCrunch Tests window also has successful and failed "tasks", in this case the tests. However here there are two toggles, one for successful and one for failed tests.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add the ExclusivelyUses attribute to the NCrunchConfiguration settings as an alternative to using the attribute.

If you could control the ExclusivelyUses values for a test, project, or assembly from the NCrunch configuration settings as well as using the attribute, the projects and solutions would not need references to the NCrunch.Framework.dll. So, for teams where only some developers are using NCurnch, the settings are kept for that user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base