I suggest you ...

Integrate with the upcoming project rider, similar to what WallabyJS does

Integrate with the upcoming IDE from jetbrains to support project rider. Project rider is already available for download. Based on intellij. NCrunch couldn't do exactly what WallabyJS is doing and providing a number of IDE integrations.

353 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    IanIan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • petepete commented  · 

IMHO Damian Hickey described it perfectly.
        Also the suggestion to partner with JetBrains is a very interesting idea that you should seriously consider IMHO.
        Another option is to open up the "protocol" for other to implement the UI they want for tools they use. I'm sure that VSCode people would be very happy to do it and JetBrains IDEs have a lot of plugins as well.
        I'm aware this imposes some limitations on your work and future NCrunch development, but it might be a good choice regardless of those.
        From your forum response I'm guessing that you did couple NCrunch to VS too much and that's probably something you should fix ASAP in this changing landscape to continue to have success apart from keeping up with testing framework to make NCrunch work well in the meantime.
        At the moment NCrunch is the best tool of its kind so IMHO you should not feel the need to introduce a lot of new features and use this time to ensure that NCrunch is safe for the next couple of years.

• Damian HickeyDamian Hickey commented  · 

I've put 3 votes on this and on

The .NET ecosystem is diversifying, becoming competitive and growing in new directions (i.e. xplat). Limiting ncrunch to Visual Studio is quite disappointing and I'm willing to bet, limiting your business in the longer run. The pace of VS code and Rider is rapidly catching up with VS and will soon leave it behind, with it's burden of legacy support.

The early adopters, the same people that helped bootstrap ncrunch when _it_ was new kid on the block, have jumped. The early majority is not far behind. VS now has it's own continuous tests and I don't doubt that Jetbrains one will improve and will work xplat (for xplat projects).

> impossible to carry with the existing structure of the NCrunch business.

Then you need to re-tune this. From an outside perspective, a partnership / co-development sponsorship with JetBrains to bring ncrunch to Rider makes sense. While it competes with their own dotCover/continuous tests (which is not a patch on ncrunch, _yet_) from their perspective it would reduces barrier / friction of Rider adoption for NCrunch users who are "stuck on VS". Just a suggestion.

Anyway, you need to consider your position on VSCode/Rider carefully. Not supporting will create a gap and a competitor will fill it.

• Remco MulderAdminRemco Mulder (NCrunch Developer, NCrunch Website) commented  · 

At the moment, there are no plans to implement this in the immediate future.

Despite the number of people that I'm sure would love to see this, it's unfortunately also the largest feature ever requested for NCrunch. Support for Rider would require rewriting ~30% of the product in Java, and would naturally include a promise to simultaneously support ALL future versions of Rider in the same way that VS is currently supported. So we'd basically be looking at 1 year+ of development up front, plus a massive maintenance burden that would likely be impossible to carry with the existing structure of the NCrunch business.

I'm going to leave this feature request up here rather than reject it outright, as it's still useful to know how many people want this ... but please understand that at the moment, I can't deliver what is being asked for.

• petepete commented  · 

NCrunch is THE ONLY reason I stick to Visual Studio.
        I hate VS and will leave it as soon as NCrunch works with Rider or Rider does Continous Testing well.

• JensJens commented  · 

So much need!

• BenBen commented  · 

Yes please! Want to switch to Project Rider. One of the things holding me back is NCrunch.

• IanIan commented  · 

Sorry, typo above :-) I meant to say "ncrunch COULD do exactly....."

Feedback and Knowledge Base