I suggest you ...

Support .NET Core, .NET Standard (previously known as DNX) projects

Surprised this hasn't already been requested.

Going to be necessary to implement.

574 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Damian HickeyDamian Hickey shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Remco MulderAdminRemco Mulder (NCrunch Developer, NCrunch Website) commented  · 

Ok, rather than keep kicking up expected release dates for this feature and drowning in the collective pressure to deliver it, I'm going to put all my cards on the table and be as open and honest as I can be here.

The releases of VS2017, MSTest V2, NUnit v3.6 and NCrunch V3 have between them raised a good number of support issues. Some of these issues are quite urgent. As important as .NET core support is, having a stable product will always be more important. People need to be able to pick up NCrunch and have it work as advertised.

For this reason, v3.3 will be a fix-up release intended to address many of the above issues.

v3.3 will also include some changes that are targeted towards .NET Core, such as the ability to recognise XML .NET Core projects, load them, and in some cases build them. Because none of these changes have been extensively tested they are likely to be unstable. As NCrunch doesn't yet have the capability to create a .NET Core runtime environment, the progress so far here isn't likely to be of much use to anyone yet.

Further development of .NET Core support is the top priority for new development in NCrunch, but this will still be secondary to keeping NCrunch stable and up to date with the platforms and toolsets it is already tied into. Because of all the changes happening in the eco-system at the moment (especially around the VS2017 release), it is impossible to know what other tasks may need to be addressed between now and the release of .NET Core support. In turn, this makes any kind of accurate estimation of .NET Core support delivery timeframes impossible.

So I ask everyone to please be patient and consider this uncertainty in your own planning. I would very much like to deliver this feature by next month, but I may very well not be able to.

• Remco MulderAdminRemco Mulder (NCrunch Developer, NCrunch Website) commented  · 

My understanding MS are intending to have a tool to migrate the json based xproj files into the new stripped down csproj format.

Working with the xproj files is a nightmare because they need a fully separate mechanism used to load and build them, which is baked into the .NET Core libraries with no extensibility options. So supporting this format really isn't feasible.

• GreenMooseGreenMoose commented  · 

Will it support .xproj files or only the newer csproj layout?

• Anonymous commented  · 

any updates on support timeline?

• Anonymous commented  · 

any updates on support timeline?

• Sean BennettSean Bennett commented  · 

Great to hear this is in progress! You'll get a number of customers back I'm sure :)

• Joseph MusserJoseph Musser commented  · 

I'm excited to see that you're working on VS2017 support, now that it's go-live! Are you still planning to start .NET Core support?

Joe Morris and David Carmona have posted an update on Microsoft's progress with the .NET Core tooling rebuild.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/10/19/net-core-tooling-in-visual-studio-15/

MS is planning to introduce the first preview of this tooling in the next preview version of VS15. This paves the way for the new architecture of the .NET Core tooling to likely be released with the RTM of VS15.

The current plan for NCrunch is to integrate with this platform as it becomes available with a goal to properly release this feature area alongside support for the next version of Visual Studio (VS 2017?).

Hi Miro,

Unfortunately, the release date for the .NET Core toolchain is in the hands of Microsoft, and they have not disclosed this yet. As explained below, the toolchain is critical dependency for NCrunch support in this area.

• MiroMiro commented  · 

Hi,

Could you please update on the estimated release of NCrunch with support for .NET Core projects?

A stable version has been released and our teams would like to start using it. However this is currently blocked by not being able to use NCrunch with it.

Thanks

I'm adding a general note here to state that netstandard support will also be investigated as part of this work, considering the relationship with .NET Core.

Integrating with these platforms is unfortunately impossible at the moment as Microsoft has not yet released the toolchain required to support them.

At the moment anyone working in .NET Core is using an interim solution that has been published by Microsoft and is still undergoing heavy changes. When developing using the libraries, the toolchain is not particularly important as your code isn't really bound to it ... but when integrating a product like NCrunch, the toolchain is the only thing that is truly relevant.

It might seem that integrating with the interim toolset is an option for NCrunch, but it really isn't. The toolset development is moving so fast that by the time it's been integrated, the goalposts will already have moved. I have, actually, tried to do this twice already (at the cost of entire months of work).

Other tool vendors also share this problem. I expect it is the primary reason why support for these new frameworks is very patchy in 3rd party tooling.

So I will ask everyone to please be patient with this, as the situation isn't under my control. We need to wait for Microsoft to fully release this platform. I am aware of how badly everyone wants it and you can be assured that it is the #1 priority for future development as soon as it is unblocked.

• KentKent commented  · 

Core is now released and package maintainers are being encouraged to target netstandard where relevant. Attempting to use any such packages with NCrunch is currently failing because NCrunch cannot build. This is gonna be a huge blocker for many wanting to move forward.

• Martin KlinkeMartin Klinke commented  · 

As I really love working with NCrunch, it's a shame that I can't use it for building .NET Core apps right now, even though the 1.0 version is already available. Looking forward to the support of the latest .NET platform in NCrunch. Hopefully, we don't have to wait until 2017...

Sorry, I can give no indication on when this will be supported by NCrunch, as Microsoft do not yet have a release date for the .NET Core build tools.

The expectation at the moment seems to be that these tools will be released with the next version of Visual Studio, so probably it will be some time next year. Integration with .NET Core is impossible until the build tools are in a stable state.

• Anonymous commented  · 

.NET Core/ASP.net Core is going RTM this June 27.
        Any schedule for NChrunch to support the platform yet?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base