Skip to content

Feature Requests

297 results found

1. Option to always show compile warnings

[v3.23.0.10]
    Today compile warnings are hidden with NCrunch for successfully built projects, I must select to "show all tests" and then select each project to see them.

I would like a toolbar button or similar which toggles compile warnings, so I can always spot those before committing even if project builds without errors.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add engine mode condition "Test is included in coverage filter"

Related to https://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2665_-Impacted-test--ignoring-coverage-filter.aspx

I would like to create an engine mode which runs condition ("impacted tests" AND "included in coverage filter"). Where "included in coverage filter" is true if no UI coverage filter is used, or the tests is covered by such a filter.

Scenario: I have a lot of pinned tests and want to focus on say 3 tests to quickly verify a fix in a part of code so I filter on those tests. I would then like to have an engine mode only running these tests in filter, but still execute impacted tests (so I don't manually…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add count of pinned tests in Tests window summary

Today the tests window states e.g. "No tests are queued for execution. Monitoring 150 tests (10 failing), with 20 tests ignored."
    I would like that text to include how many tests I have pinned (easy to tell if a new one gets pinned or not for example via engine mode).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add "Test sessions"/workspaces for test window

I would like, similar to ReSharper, to be able to save a collection of tests in a session/tab in order to work on it later on.

Scenario: I have 20 pinned failing tests which I am currently have in my worklog to fix. At one point in time I want to focus on a few other tests. I would like to save the 20 pinned tests in a tab, and pin 4 other tests in order to focus on those, and then later get back to the 20 pinned tests I was originally working on

Note: It might as well…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Filter on test category

I would like the "Search" window in NCrunch Tests also match test categories (and maybe other columns as well?).

(going "all in" the grid component could maybe be replaced with a component with filter-per-column possibilities)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Possibility to check code coverage on Pull Request with VSTS

I'd like to be able to check the code coverage on new code when one of my developper do a pull request using VSTS and Git.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Option to enter debugger when churn mode makes a test fail

I would like to use churn mode for a single test and make NCrunch enter the debugger as soon as churn mode was able to fail the test.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. "Pin tests" link in "coverage has been set to show X test only" window

Similar to https://ncrunch.uservoice.com/forums/245203-feature-requests/suggestions/6363545-when-showing-coverage-for-specific-tests-show-icon , I have X pinned tests, and currently only show coverage for 1 test.
    The code I am looking indicates uncovered (or filtered due to coverage filter).
    I would like a link similar "Click to return to normal" that reveals the tests currently showing coverage for (easiest way I guess is to pin them).
    This way I can easily navigate to the tests currently used in coverage filter, without currently having covered code under cursor.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add RMB menu "Run starting test on all enabled servers"

I have an explicit test which resets database to a clean state. If for whatever reason the db state becomes invalid, I would like to run this test on all connected/enabled "servers" (local and grid nodes).

Today I must select one by one ("Run starting test on server>X ") to ensure db is reset within each grid node.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Incremental build for console tool

From https://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2644_Incremental-build-with-NCrunch-console.aspx

I run NCrunch console on TeamCity with engine mode "run impacted tests only" (with switch -NCrunchCacheStoragePath) but the build/analyze phase is always restarting from scratch instead of utilizing "incremental build" functionality, which causes the session to run longer than needed even if no source files have been modified.

I would want, in some way, to have the console tool session behave as an "incremental build" with MsBuild would do, granted nothing has changed in source files and NCrunch cache folder is kept between sessions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow to run in memory only

It would be nice if I could run ncrunch in memory only. That would extend the lifetime of SSDs and would be much faster. At the moment this is only possible with a ram drive.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Visual Studio (Mac)

Now that Visual Studio is available on the Mac, it would be nice for tools like this to be available for Mac users too.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pin tests matching engine mode

Before selecting an engine mode (e.g. "Performance Tests") I would like to see which tests that would be executed for this mode, e.g. by pinning them. This way I can choose only to test run a single matching test for triage.

Ideas for implementation:
    A) Create a sub menu on each engine mode "Pin matching tests" or similar, while the top menu item (engine mode name) still behaves as today.

B) Add a NCrunch tests window toolbar button "Do not run tests automatically", then add a menu item "Pin test matching current engine mode". Then one can disable auto-execution, select…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add window showing slowest lines of code

The slow hotspot markers were super useful in me rewriting portions of test / application code to speed them up.

It would be useful to be able to see a list of the slowest lines of code so attention can be given to refactoring them.

Bonus points if this can be sorted based on total time under test, and also average time under test

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Support Install Directory Outside of AppData

Due to security restrictions on programs executing out of AppData at my company, they whitelist another directory where we can install development software. Because NCrunch does not allow an install directory outside of AppData, I am unable to get it to work under this security policy.

It is pretty common to allow custom install paths, so I am requesting that you support this feature for NCrunch as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add "Configure selected component" RMB menu on NCrunch project warnings

[v3.22]
    Today I can select a project in NCrunch Tests window and RMB and choose "Configure selected component" to easily find it in the NCrunch Configuration pane.
    However for project warnings I cannot do this (e.g. for warning "NCrunch detected unusual behaviour around the resolution of referenced assemblies required by this project in its test environment"). and must manually navigate to the project in the configuration pane, which is tedious for large solutions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add "/VS" switch (vstudio version) to grid node server configuration

I have some tests requiring vs2013, these work fine with ncrunch.exe since I can use the /VS version.
    However when I use vs2017 for local development the tests are failing (since the grid node uses vs2017 if that is available).
    I would like the grid node configuration to be able to specifiy a vs version to use, so I can dedicate 1 grid node to run in vs2013 environment (in combination with capabilities to ensure such tests are run on that)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. allow copy paste from exception details window

It would be helpful to be able to be able to copy paste text from the exception details popup that displays when you click the X mark in the ncrunch gutter, e. g. stack trace, exception message, ...
    Right now, the test has to actually be executed in debug mode in the task runner to be able to copy text from the standard visual studio exception popup window

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Option to suppress TC service msg "NCrunch result: TestFailure" in console tool

From https://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2618_NCrunch-Console-and-TeamCity-muted-tests.aspx

I want to be able to utilize TeamCity Test Muting (see https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/TCD18/Muting+Test+Failures ) and therefore I need NCrunch to not report build failure via TC service message if a test fails.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Look at working with Live Share

Visual Studio Live Share is a new collaborative sharing tool that is currently in development for both VS and VS Code.

We are currently evaluating it, and we noticed that annoyingly, there is currently no way to have the nice dots / coverage NCrunch provides to remote guests.

There is a task / issue logged with Live Share https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/live-share/issues/125 which they seem interested in creating an API eventually.

I think you guys should look at trying to integrate with this... as I believe Live Share looks to be on the right track at the moment... and having NCrunch integrated into…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests