Skip to content

Feature Requests

297 results found

1. Opt-in option for selection of which projects are monitored

Currently, the selection of which projects are built is opt-out. That is, all projects are monitored and built unless you set the "Ignore completely" flag explicitly on a project in your configuration.

It would be nice to have something that works more like building from the GUI or the command-line would: an opt-in feature.

In this proposed new mode of monitoring-selection, projects would still be monitored, built, and tested exactly as they are now. The only difference would be that all projects would be ignored completed and you would have to explicitly choose a project to be monitored. Obviously, any…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Treat unit and system tests differently

I've worked in a number of scenarios where we had a subset of tests which would be better classed as "system tests". I.e. they covered a large amount of system functionality and took a considerably amount of time to run (sometimes minutes). Running these as conventional unit tests under Ncrunch, triggered by every editor change is overkill but OTOH the Ncrunch UI is really nice and its ability to automatically run things is very helpful. It would be useful if these tests could be treated in a different way to normal units tests, e.g. only run on a scheduled basis…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add the ability to run a test fixture manually

It's easy and convenient to run an individual test manually by using the markers in the source, but there's no marker for running a test fixture (class with multiple tests in it). It would be nice if a dot were added for the fixture too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Update or replace the NCrunch Forum software

The software used for the NCrunch Forum (forum.ncrunch.net) is really terrible for this day and age.

I tried to search for a DPI issue, and it griped at me for trying to search for fewer than four characters.

I tried to upload an image to show the DPI issue I was having, and it wanted me to give the URL of the image.

I'm sure this forum software was fine, at least better than nothing, back when NCrunch first came out, but just like NCrunch has improved over time, so has online forum software, and it seems like time to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow more flexibility in test and hierarchy display

Currently there are six hard-coded ways to display tests in the NCrunch Tests window.

My proposal is that in place of this hard-coded list, there be a way to specifically configure what I want to see:

• Category (on/off)
    • Project (on/off)
    • Namespaces (one level per dot, or all grouped in one level, or none)
    • Fixture (on/off)
    • Test (full namespace.class.name / just method name)

Usually except for large projects I'd prefer to just show the test name, but currently there's no way to do that. "Test" view shows namespace.class.testname.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support Visual Studio 2019 Solution Filters

With 3.25 NCrunch builds and test the complete solution even if a Solution filter is used. This is one side a good thing, so that if i break something in a filtered project, this will be detected pretty quickly.

But it may be nice in some more complicated case, only run and build the projects which are in the filter. Because the filter is used to explizit not build and test some projects.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add function to attach to a process by PID

I have a process that is being launched during the run of a test that I need to attach to. The current workflow of manually attaching to the test is slow and irritating. I believe since ncrunch is running as a VS extension ncrunch could provide a function to attach to a particular process by PID.

Sample code that implements this feature, with MIT license:
    https://gist.github.com/xavierzwirtz/bd3dfcb5be4a0466cd4c106cc92f223e

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. instrument C#.Net webapi server deployed on Microsoft Azure Service Fabric Cluster so as to get code coverage for the same

Need to be able to instrument C#.Net webapi server deployed on Microsoft Azure Service Fabric Cluster? I am looking to get code coverage for the same, for the integration tests that are running against a Webapi server deployed on the SF host.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Save the Timeline report every 10 minutes

Save the Timeline report every 10 minutes in order to keep the history of a whole work session (a few hours). I could make visual reports based on the xml file.

I would need this for the training / coaching I do with team that are learning TDD.
    I want to show them how NCrunch can be used to improve their practice and reduce their feedback loops. I don't know any other tool that could do it for Visual Studio and it would provide precious information.
    We could even make it a game/competition with clear number objectives!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support Inline Code Coverage in .razor Tests

NCrunch supports crunching xUnit tests defined in an @code block of a razor file. It would be great if automatic inline code coverage were supported for those tests.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Possibility to turn off 'Churn...' when 'Show coverage on selected test only' is on

When you activate 'Show coverage on selected test only' while at the same time having 'Churn selected test until it fails' on, there is only a popup dialogue for turning off the 'Show coverage on selected test only'. It's probably more relevant to stop churning than to show coverage of all the tests in that particular situation, so It would be nice if the dialogue [also] offered the possibility to cancel the churning session.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to exclude/include files for "Autodetect Nuget build dependencies"

The documentation (https://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/reference_project-configuration_autodetect-nuget-build-dependencies) describes that NCrunch is able to auto-detect NuGet package references.

It also states that it may happen that NCrunch workspaces might bloat significantly.

At least to work around some limitations it would be nice to have a filter that either excludes or includes specific files.

For example, I would like to exclude the .nupkg files and the .xml (documentation) files. In my specific scenario that would reduce the "bloat" from 16MB to 4MB as now I only include the DLLs I actually need.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Detect impacted tests when assembly attributes change that impact test running

With NUnit 3 I added [assembly:Apartment(ApartmentState.STA)] as an assembly-level attribute, thus applying to all tests in that assembly. Yet, NCrunch doesn't consider that for impacted tests. There are possibly also other assembly attributes that could impact all tests.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support Xamarin in Visual Studio 2017

Official Visual Studio 2017 with Xamarin support would be nice. In the moment it does only work the you edit Xamarin.forms.Targets file, what is annoying.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide option to only run tests on a Grid Node and not on the local machine

Provide the ability to specify that certain tests should never run on the local machine and should always run on applicable Grid Node clients (e.g. if the Grid Node client meets whatever capabilities are specified, etc.).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add overlay icon in Tests window indicating if test is included in UI coverage filter

I would like to easy spot which tests in my test are included in current UI coverage filter.
    Given I have a coverage filter set, I would like an icon on the test (e.g. red X with some small overlay icon for a failing test) so I easily can see which tests that are currently used in coverage filter (e.g. when have 20 pinned tests and showing coverage for only 5 of them).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add toolbar button for filtering running/queued tests in Tests window

I have a large amount of tests but would like to see which tests are currently being executed or pending execution (without showing all passed tests/projects), even if test was previously passing.

This so I can get an overview of the "backlog" of the current work queue and easily utilize the Search filter/sorting etc.

The Processing Queue Window is good to know what is "happening" but I would like to have similar info in the Tests window (more focused on test itself versus all other info build/analyze/servers etc.)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Keyboard shortcut for running covering tests matching current engine mode settings.

Similar to keyboard shortcuts "Run covering test in existing/new test process" I would like similar running covering tests, but using the engine mode filter settings for "tests to execute automatically".

Scenario: I have NUnit fixtures which generate tests with different categories, e.g.
    [TextFixture(TypeArgs=new[]{typeof(SqlServerTest)}, Category="SqlServer")]
    [TextFixture(TypeArgs=new[]{typeof(SQLiteTest)}, Category="SQLite")]

I have 2 engine modes for running "sql server" and "SQLite" categories. Now, when I am at some covering code, I want to run the tests covering it, but only using the current selected engine mode (e.g. "SQLite").
    In same way, when having cursor on a test, which both above categories uses, I easily…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Include "Download full log" link in AllResults.html

I want to be able to download entire test output data in a file in order to search for keyword in any of the tests.

Scenario: I use NCrunch on TeamCity and have AllResults.html in a tab, since I also use "run impacted tests only" the TeamCity build log itself does not contain all test output so I have to resort to AllResults.html. I there want to find all tests with log output containing a substring, but have no way of searching output of all tests in one go.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Abort grid node processing in NCrunch Console if no more tests are to be executed

From forum: https://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postst2641_Why-is-not-NCrunch-aborting-build-analysis-on-pending-grid-nodes-when-no-work-remains.aspx

If I have 1 slow grid node connected to NCrunch Console, and NCrunch engine has completed all tests for the engine mode, I want the slow grid node to abort its build/analyze processing since there are no more tests to execute anyhow.

Background: My NCrunchConsole runs on a fast server, one grid node might be very slow. So even though the console tool is completed building/analyzing/running tests within 3 minutes, it sits and wait for the slow grid node to complete building for another e.g. 15 minutes (see forum post for a timeline example).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Categories