Skip to content

Feature Requests

298 results found

1. Add button to enable/disable word wrap in test output window

The test output window currently wraps text which can make it difficult to read stack traces. An option to disable word wrap would be helpful, especially if it could be toggled via a button on the window itself.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Native support for xUnit Collection attributes

Currently xUnit Collection attributes are not prohibiting nCrunch from running tests inside one collection in parallel. So developers require to decorate old tests with nCrunch-related attributes for those test not to be executed in parallel.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Configurable list of custom ItemGroups to be copied over to workspace

More details - http://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_postsm7334_Custom-ItemGroups-to-be-copied-over-to-workspace.aspx#post7334

The scenario is coming up with some shared logic to be used by other teams. They have the freedom to add build targets, so list of custom items used isn't fixed.

Currently NCrunch just copies over None or Content or Compile items. Having a configurable list of such items will help avoiding workarounds like adding the item twice.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cleanup of workspace

For faster unit-testing, I am using a RAM-drive as workspace, with 4GB space.

NCrunch keeps all old build artifacts around until they are no longer needed. In practice, this means that as I am working, the workspace keeps on filling up, since a change in one place which doesn't impact something else means both versions are kept in the workspace.

As a result of this, the 4GB quickly get gobbled up, forcing me to cleanup by deactivating/activating NCrunch (which means everything gets rebuilt, even though this isn't necessary) or manually trying to delete as much as possible in the filesystem.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow to temporarily ignore tests

When some tests are failing for a known reason (eg: When making structural changes, or when developing to an interface which is not yet completed), it would be nice if there is a possibility to tell the NCrunch Tests window to ignore certain tests for a defined period of time.

For example:
    right-click test in the list
    > Ignore..
    > Ignore for 10min
    > Ignore for 1hr
    > Ignore for today

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Test pass/fail in Enhanced scroll bar or R# scroll margin.

The ability to have NCrunch show the code coverage and test pass/fail in the enhanced scroll bar from power productivity tools or Resharpers scroll bar. Or something similar. That way can tell if tests that are not visible on screen change. Of course could have the tests window up...

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Be able to run grid node on linux

Provide the ability to run a grid node on linux.

I mainly develop for dotnet core with CI being linux based and deploy exclusively on linux based environments (though I develop on Windows 10 as a personal preference).

I would be great if I could deploy grid node to linux local / cloud hosts.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support for Paket

Paket is an alternative package manager that support NuGet packages. Currently NCrunch will auto detect NuGet packages that have build targets in the csproj and copy the tools folder into the workspace for that package.

This does not work when using Paket and requires manual fixup of the additional files to include the tools folders.

Please add support for Paket based NuGet references in the same way as NuGet is supported.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Enable real time output of the test being run in "NCrunch Tests" window

It would be nice to have real-time or at least "refreshed" every 5-10 seconds "Test output" console in NCrunch Tests" window.

Right now the output is provided once test is completed, but it would be useful to have some kind of "refresh every N seconds" option for integration tests. They might take minutes to run, and sometimes it is extremely useful to see output in real time - either to kill the test or to see what's going on.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create a 'Kill Currently Running Tests and Execute Selected Tests Immediately' button

The existing 'Run selected test(s) in new process' button just gives the selected tests high priority. This is very irritating when longer running tests are clogging the queue. I often go to the Processing Queue to kill the tests I don't care about so that my test will start sooner. Worse, sometimes the test I want runs together with long tests I don't want, so I can't kill just the long tests without removing my requested test as well. Just run my test, right now! The others can wait.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add coverage aggregates to the xml report produced by the console runner

The output of the console runner contains HTML and raw xml reports.

The HTML report is nice, however the contents of the XML files is a bit too detailed to get statistics from it.

It would be nice to have the same kind of data that is in the HTML file but in XML form (meaning, the % coverage per method/class/assembly/global). Something similar to the DotCover XML or JSON reports. In fact if the format was exactly the same as the dotcover reports we could leverage tools that can already process these files, like SonarQube.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a console runner nuget package

A console runner package would make integration in build systems simpler.

The would be no need to install the runner on each agent, just get the package from nuget and run it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Visual marker in far left margin when code is collapsed to definition

For those developers who do code maintenance by collapsing code to definitions (use Outlining Collapse) we can't see which tests in the file are failing at a glance. To see that we have to expand all the code to see the red/green markers.
    All that would be needed is to promote a red or green top level marker to the far left margin to show us what test is failing in the file (when test method is collapsed).

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support Visual Studio 2019 Solution Filters

With 3.25 NCrunch builds and test the complete solution even if a Solution filter is used. This is one side a good thing, so that if i break something in a filtered project, this will be detected pretty quickly.

But it may be nice in some more complicated case, only run and build the projects which are in the filter. Because the filter is used to explizit not build and test some projects.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow to run in memory only

It would be nice if I could run ncrunch in memory only. That would extend the lifetime of SSDs and would be much faster. At the moment this is only possible with a ram drive.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow for easy command-line installation (e.g. Chocolatey)

Our development machines are built via PowerShell script, which is a very flexible and maintainable way of scaling to many developers. The scripts rely heavily on Chocolatey packages to install software, but unfortunately the unofficial Chocolatey package for the NCrunch Visual Studio plugin is not reliably updated and does not cope well with upgrades. Also, there is no command-line NCrunch package.

Given that Chocolatey packages are relatively simple wrappers around the existing product installers, it would be great if you could work with the existing package maintainer to improve the existing package, and create a package for the command-line application.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. "first failing test"

I suggest you include the option to highlight the first failing test in the "NCrunch Tests" window and display the details.

Right now when there are no tests failing and a test fails, I have to click on it in order to see the details of why.

Having it automatically show the details would be very helpful and save a few clicks.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hide non test projects in the NCrunch Tests window

I typically leave the 'Show Passing Tests' filter enabled. However, when it is enabled, non-test projects also show up in the list with a check next to them. It would be good if the non-test projects would not show up at all in the tests view since there are no tests in them.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. ncrunch "absorb" solution folder structure to organize the tests

Can we have ncrunch "absorb" solution folder structure to organise the tests in the test overview window? We currently have two folders (slow and fast) and resharper adheres to that struture (very convenient).

I'd like ncrunch to do the same. Could you add that to the Tree structure option in the NCrunch Tests window?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide history of failed tests

When working on a project where NCrunch is running (all) the tests automatically in the background, some tests occassionally fail and then suddenly pass.

I would like to have some kind of history for failed tests so that I can even later on delve further into the failed tests to figure out what's going wrong.

In addition it would be nice to be able to configure the time span (or number of tests runs) for that historical data to limit the memory consumed (I could imagine that using that feature on large projects will have a significant memory impact).

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Categories